Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A new face.

My work life has been awesome. Hours are short but fun and staff has changed. Kyle, the one male co-worker I had, has left after 6+ years. Moved on to bigger and better, so we hope. He's been studying to become a personal trainer. Took and passed the test recently after months of diligent studying. I think I've told Chris he's gone. I'm unsure if he recalls or acknowledges it. He still makes the same jokes he did when we did work together. It's ok though. All in good humor, at least that's how I take it. I'd met his replacement last Monday. This was our second day working together. Tonight will be our third. But on that first day we seemed to just out pour into the other about ourselves, our lives. Our pasts. It was momentarily confusing, to just release to someone you've JUST met.

She's 31, mother of 3, 2 different fathers. Her first's dad passed away before she was born. She's now 11. Her other two kids, boy, 7 and little girl, 2 share the same dad I believe. BUT he was very abusive towards her. So her son is displaying the same aggressive, angry traits. I felt for her. To be dealing with all that. She's got her hands full. Now; her fiance is a completely different person from her previous husband. He's a prince to her and treats her like a princess. They're getting married in a couple months. She showed and asked my opinion of a choice of wedding dress she was looking at. A destination wedding in the Bahamas. Again, my heart was swollen with jealousy and yet happiness for her.

She deserved every ounce of happiness she had in her life now because she's been through more than I could imagine. Last night she texts me; she needs a friend. She said she has none here because she left them all back where she used to live, where she used to work. The same establishment, different facility, some ways from here. Everything was different about it; which in turn made the job itself different. She had people she could talk to, people she could rely on ..coworkers who she could have fun with. And I felt great knowing that. Knowing I made someone else enjoy what they did, where they were. Because I know what it's like to hate who you work with, hate where you are, and what you're doing simply BECAUSE people make you hate it.

She needed a work out friend. She wanted to get together outside of work. Have a drink, some coffee. A play date for our daughters. It's only Tuesday so I hadn't committed to anything yet. But I didn't deny. Maybe I'm not used to someone wanting to spend time with me like that, someone wanting my friendship AND working at it. I wouldn't mind trying but I think I might suck at it. In my current company I've become lazy ...maybe.

This girl deserves a friend and I can be a great friend. So I'm willing to try ...

No comments:

Post a Comment