Sunday, March 11, 2012

It always takes just one person

..to ruin your view of things. I mean, she didn't do drastic damage. But it wasn't the first time she did it either. I just didn't think she'd be so bold faced about it.

Let me get to the start.
I enjoy my work. I enjoy the job, as small and undemanding if my time it is, I enjoy getting out the few times a week for a few hours at a time. The pay sucks. The kids drive me bananas at times but I like it. I've never had issues with anyone I worked with. My boss is personable and pleasant. She's pretty low maintenance as far as demands at work goes. I'm a very reliable worker. I'm trustworthy, honest, funny and willing to help whoever needs it whenever. Everyone I work with knows it. I've only been there a short time and I know I don't have the same rapport that the other ladies have. They're all a lot older than I. Some with grand kids or like my aunt, long time caregivers to children. They know their shit.

I've worked with kids for going on 15 years but in a more, controlled, and directive atmosphere. I had rules they had to follow. I couldn't let them walk all over me, and if need be, punishment was deemed fit when necessary. That doesn't work here. You can't yell at the kids for being noisy or rowdy because that's not your job.

Anyways; I digress.
I don't get much of a pay to brag about. It's pretty crappy. There is a 'tip jar' that sits at the doorway should parents like to partake in showing some monetary gratitude to us for watching over their children while they do whateverthefuckitisitheydo when they're there for however many hours they are in fact there. The maximum amount of time they can allow their kids to be there is 2 hours though.
Now like I said, I'm the new girl there. I don't have much knowledge of who and what and how certain kids are. MORE SO if I have to cover a shift ...

Now, my co-worker, Sally, is an older woman. She's retired from her job, huge house, lots of kids, just got her millionth grandson. She's had a successful life. They (her and her husband with other relatives) travel often, splurge on the regular. Her and her husband are one of those lushy Irish couples where they're set in their ways and everyone loves them. I think she's a two-faced greedy bitch but that's me.

She works mornings with my boss, Kim. That tip jar usually gets divided between whoever is working at the end of each shift. BUT my boss allows the other person to have it all. She doesn't need half of whatever is in the jar. So Sally gets her paycheck, she works almost every day, she gets Kim's shift if she calls out which is 8 hours (my boss is the only full-time on staff in childcare, the rest of us are part timers with 4 hour shift blocks), AND she gets all the tips.

Now, I've watched her take money in her hand WHILE working with me and still expect half of what's in the tip jar. Think about it; two people, working the same shift, doing the same job and you pocket money that should be for 2? The first time she did it, I took no mind to it, thought it was petty because she would be so petty about 2-4 bucks. If she feels good with herself for doing that then whatever.
But when she did it again and STARED RIGHT AT ME; I was upset. Why? A couple days before then she said she'd opened my paycheck by 'accident' because it was in the wrong box. That fortnight I had worked 45 hours or more. Which is rare. My usual 2 week pay is logged for 28 hours. But I am a reliable person.
I'm honest, and diligent with my work routine and ethics.
But she went and complained that I shouldn't be getting all those hours. If hours are up for grabs, she should be given it since it ought to be by seniority.  Seriously? I'm sure you're wondering how I found out. The co-workers she blabbed and complained to told me.
I wanted to pitch a fit but instead, any action that I would deliver would backfire on me in a negative way. So instead of squabbling over a few bucks, I'll continue to kill her with kindness and I'll NEVER refer mine or other's hours to her.
I work nights. She works days. I'll never call a day shift worker to do a night shift. So she'd guaranteed to never have my hours. And the reason why I get called first is because I'm a sure thing. I'll be there. no maybes, if ands or buts. There's only 2 day shift workers and if that other can't make it, it's me they call. So most of my work days turn into full days since I cover morning and evening. Which is fine for me. I'm not working for her. She doesn't pay my bills. She wants me to cover her shift? SURE THING. Money in my pocket.

Since all this has transpired I've worked with her once and she's managed to suck up all available hours since she's close to my boss, Kim. I'll be sure to let my night co-workers know they can call on me before her because I don't mind covering night shifts. It's when I work. I refuse to let some little ol' bag who talks out her ass to pull anything on me. No sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment